5 Steps To Take If You Smell Gas in Your Home
Five Steps to Avoid a Gas Explosion in Your Home
If a strong odor is lingering in your home that smells similar to rotten eggs or sulfur, it is possible you have a gas leak. You might also hear a faint hissing noise. While natural gas is not toxic to breathe in, leaking gas is extremely flammable and is considered an immediate emergency. If you smell gas in your home, quickly take these five steps to avoid a gas explosion and keep your family safe.
1. Turn Off the Stove
Often, a suspected gas leak is actually the smell of gas from the stove that someone accidentally turned on. If that’s the case, quickly turn off the stove. Is the stove is not the source of the smell, make sure the oven and stove are both turned off regardless to prevent a gas fire.
2. Put Out Any Open Flames
If you smell a gas leak, never use a lighter or ignite any kind of flame. If any candles are lit or the fireplace is on, quickly extinguish the flames.
3. Keep Lights and Electronics Off
As soon as you detect the smell of natural gas in your home, refrain from turning on any lights or electronics which can start a gas fire. Grab a flashlight if necessary.
4. Open Doors and Windows
Allow gas to quickly escape your home by opening all the windows and doors. You can turn on the oven range hood fan to help remove some of the gas.
5. Evacuate Your Home
As soon as you feel it is unsafe to remain in your home, quickly get everyone, including pets, out of your home. Once you make it across the street from your home call 9-1-1.
Keeping your family safe and escaping your home should always be your priority if you smell a gas leak. If a gas fire does start, a fire damage restoration specialist can help restore your home back to its pre-fire condition.