How Does FEMA Help After a Storm?
How Can FEMA Help You After a Storm?
When significant storm disasters strike Urban Reserve, TX, the Federal Emergency Management Agency may be one of the first agencies to provide shelter, assistance for basic needs, and offer help with damaged homes. How can FEMA help you after a storm? First, you should determine whether you qualify:
- Reach out for immediate assistance if you need it. The federal agency has partners providing immediate emergency assistance whether you qualify for federal assistance or not.
- Check disasterassistance.gov to determine whether you're in an area that has been declared for assistance.
- Once you've checked in online, a representative will complete an inspection/assessment of your residence.
- These officials won't ask for money or approve or deny your claim.
- If you qualify, you'll receive a check or direct deposit, as well as a letter describing the terms of receiving the money. If you don't qualify, you'll get a letter describing why you didn’t and information about appealing the decision.
The federal emergency agency offers several types of assistance for victims of major flooding and storm damage. Even if you think you won't qualify, it's a good idea to apply.
Some FEMA help is available through the Individuals and Households Program. This program offers low-interest loans administered through the Small Business Administration. Other forms of assistance from this program include temporary housing assistance, lodging expenses reimbursement, additional funding for home repair or replacement after insurance coverage, and, occasionally, housing construction financing.
Additional Types of Assistance
When necessary, the federal agency may also help with child-care expenses, medical and dental expenses, funeral and burial expenses, basic necessities (heating, clothing, furnishings,) cleaning items, and storage expenses. When it comes to hiring cleanup and reconstruction professionals, it's best to work with your insurance company.
Be Sure To Ask
There are many ways FEMA can help out residents of Urban Reserve, TX when the city qualifies for federal assistance. The most important thing to know is that you won't know whether you qualify if you don't reach out and ask.